The Magento Community Edition continues to set the standard for open-source shopping cart technology solutions. Hailed as a revolution for online merchants when it was released, Magento has continually upgraded the offering with additional functionality and fixes suggested by the Magento development community. The Magento Community Edition and its core code form the essential parts of the entire Magento offering and is continually being adopted by online merchants worldwide – now more than 30,000 strong.
The Magento Community Edition is available as a free download under the open source OSL 3.0 license and is recommended for expert developers and highly technical enthusiasts and hobbyists in non-mission critical environments. As this edition is unsupported it is intended to be used by those happy to spend time and resource solving issues independently.
Magento at its core offers robust administrative features, including the most powerful marketing functions, search engine optimization tools and catalog-management tools – all built in – so that merchants can create website shopping environments based upon their business needs. With Magento there are sophisticated application programming interfaces included, so that merchants can connect Magento to a number of external accounting systems, email list management tools, ERP systems and more. Core features of the Magento Community Edition software are:
- Support for localization
- Support for multiple currencies
- Batch Import and Export of catalog
- Media Manager with automatic image resizing and watermarking
- Cross-sells, Up-sells and Related Items
- Recently viewed products
- Product comparisons
- Multiple Images Per Product
- One-Page Checkout as well Saved Shopping Carts with configurable expiration time
- On-site order tracking from customer accounts
- Integrations with most of the leading payment processors
- View, edit, create and fulfill orders from admin panel.
- Downloadable Products
- Feature-rich Customer Accounts
- Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration Panel with ability to share as much or as little information as needed
- Auto-Generated Popular Search Terms Page
- Multi-Tier Pricing for quantity discounts
- Web Services API for easy integration between Magento and any third-party application
- Google Website Optimizer Integration for A/B and Multivariate Testing
- Create Store-specific attributes on the fly
- Layered / Faceted Navigation for filtering of products in Categories
- Ability to assign designs on category and product level (unique design per product/category)
- Product listing in grid or list format
- Product Image Zoom-in Capability
- Multi-Tier Pricing/Up sell
- Accept gift messages per order and per item
- Multiple shipments per order
- Call Center (phone) order creation
- Order History with Status Updates
There is no charge for the Magento Community Edition from the company, and Magento supplies no support and it does not warranty the product. Unleaded Software is an experienced developer for the Magento Community Edition and highly recommends that customers seeking the base-line Magento offering use our services to ensure it is installed properly, matches the existing website and/or company design and logo, and that it operates as advertised. While the Magento Community Edition is open-source and available free, the integration of the software and any required add-ons and modules is still a very sophisticated process requiring the kind of recognized expertise and experience possessed by Unleaded Software.